West Rouge is a small community neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the south-east corner of Toronto, within the former city of Scarborough. The community is roughly bounded by Lake Ontario to the south, the Rouge River to the east, Port Union Road to the west and Kingston Road to the north.
The area was recorded as being settled as early as 1798, when a crown patent for lots 29, 30, 32 & 33, “Con. 1 with the Broken Front, Township of Pickering, County of York and Home District, Province of Upper Canada”, were granted to William Holmes, Esquire. In 1843 Henry Cowan, an immigrant from Ayr, Scotland, bought lots 32 & 33 from Holmes and settled the land with his family. In 1848 Cowan sold a small portion of his land on the shores of Lake Ontario to the Grand Trunk Railway Company. In 1852 it became part of Ontario County.
Until 1974 West Rouge was not part of Toronto or Scarborough, but was considered part of the township of Pickering. When Ontario County was reorganized as Durham Region that year, it along with neighbouring Port Union were transferred to the then-borough of Scarborough under Metropolitan Toronto.
This website may only be used by consumers that have a bona fide interest in the purchase, sale, or lease of real estate, of the type being offered via this website. Data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB). In Canada, the trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.